Sunday 24 January 2010

Oh Bloody Bloody Computers


For a woman with her own blog, I am just one small notch above complete computer illiteracy. I wrote in a previous post about how my p.c. and internet connection were both new. Well they are now slightly less new, and what I hoped would prove to be a fairly steep learning curve has in fact turned out to be much more of a gentle incline.

In an effort to educate myself I've bought loads of those black and yellow striped books For Dummies. As in The Internet for Dummies, Blogging for Dummies e.c.t e.c.t. My children find this hilarious in a 'glad to see you've finally let go of the denial mum' kind of way, and my 'office' (read cupboard under the stairs) bookshelf is starting to resemble a giant bee. To be fair, I could not have got this blog up and running without those books (one downside of anonymous blogging being that you can't really ask anyone for help) but in lots of ways I am still none the wiser than the disillusioned Luddite that first began this whole venture. A friend had to talk me through sending an e-mail with an attachment the other day. When you notice your friends starting to speak to you very gently and slowly, is it then time to worry I wonder...

The latest computery thing to flummox me is Twitter. Other bloggers all appear to be using it, at least I keep seeing these little blue birds everywhere, and so naturally I'm interested. Yesterday I thought I would go and see what it was all about. I managed to sign up for an account, and also picked a few of the people whose blogs I like, to follow. So far so good. I even got a couple of followers myself which is really exciting, only now I don't know what to do. I have tried vainly to send out a tweet, and also to reply to someone elses tweet, but as far as I am aware, have not managed so much as a pathetic squeak.

Back to the Drawing Board For Dummies methinks.

Any tips are entirely welcome by the way.

5 comments:

  1. I do believe it's like many things and you just need to find your stride. What's your twitter handle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could do with one of those books! I have an anonymous blog and I just ask in a round about fashion "what if...blah blah" but otherwise I practise things on a test blog. Are you tweeting on the computer or a mobile? A computer is very easy, not sure why you are having problems. Keep trying it's worth it. You need to put your blue bird on your blog so people can then find you to follow you. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to humour me! Twitter handle is Gappy Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! Sussed it! I am now officially on Twitter. I've got the little blue bird to prove it and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how to do Twitter, I just don't see the point. If you figure that out, let me know!

    ReplyDelete